Title: Deputy Director of Design Development, Landscape Architecture
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City and are initiated at funding allocation.
Parks is initiating a pilot program called Front End Planning to ensure proper scoping, project feasibility and estimating prior to funding allocation and initiation by the Landscape Architecture unit. The goals of this effort are to reduce design durations, bid shortfalls and change orders in construction.
A subset of the Landscape Architecture unit, this Front-End Planning Team will work to formalize Community Parks Initiative and other project scopes, completing pre-design efforts, concept design, cost estimating and internal and community board design reviews. Once scope and budget are confirmed, each project will be assigned to the Landscape Architecture unit to complete the design process, including contract documents, regulatory approvals and permitting.
Working closely with the Chief of Landscape Architecture, the Deputy Director is responsible for implementing high-quality designs. This candidate must also understand Parks design directives and ensure adherence in all projects that are assigned to the team.
Reporting to the Chief of Landscape Architecture Program Management, the Deputy Director of Front-End Planning will lead this team of five Landscape Architects, meeting all schedules requirements and ensuring robust cost estimates in coordination with other Capital units. The Deputy Director will also lead coordination efforts on behalf of Parks Capital with Parks Planning and the Borough Offices for CPI site selections.
The ideal candidate is collaborative in style and has the ability to effectively listen and balance many viewpoints and needs in a design. Working across disciplines (eg, engineers, architects, procurement) and across the Parks Department and other city agencies, the successful candidate is a champion of their portfolio and can troubleshoot and problem-solve to realize projects.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
- Under direction of the Chief of Landscape Architecture Program Management, with very great latitude for the exercise of independent judgment or action, supervise a group of landscape designers, including administrative oversight and disciplinary process when necessary.
- Assist the Chief of Landscape Architecture Program Management with assigning projects to staff and schedule completions to meet team targets.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Landscape Architecture, ensure all projects have well-thought-out conceptual designs that meet community goals as well as budget and schedule targets. This will require project tracking and reporting as well as workload prioritization for all staff reports to ensure schedules are met.
- Work with staff to ensure project requirements, including permitting and approvals, are properly communicated to the Landscape Architecture Unit when projects are handed off following schematic design approval.
- Represent the Agency at meetings and present projects to Agency stakeholders, other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public. This includes presenting internally at Commissioner-level meetings as needed and in cases when a direct report is absent in order to maintain project schedule.
- Work with the Borough Commissioner, Maintenance and Operations staff and other stakeholders to provide information, input and assessment of projects.
- Provide technical assistance and support to staff as needed. Conduct or direct a significant portion of research for projects assigned to the Front-End Planning Team.
- Maintain quality assurance and quality control, facilitating the preparation of drawings, presentations and estimates using AutoCAD and other software.
- Assist with hiring and training of assigned personnel.
- In special cases, serve as Lead Manager on a Capital portfolio as approved by the Deputy Commissioner’s Office.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
- A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the US Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
- Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
- Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
- To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
- At least five years of experience leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or managing consultant contracts.
- Knowledge of the following specialized disciplines: sustainable/“green” design, ecological restoration, historic preservation, conservation, ADA/universal design concepts, horticulture, urban design and public art.
- Strong design skills and the ability to communicate design concepts in graphic and written form.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, PowerPoint and SketchUp or an alternative 3D rendering software.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $110,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by: 05/27/22
Work Location: Olmsted Center, Queens
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL’S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.